published by Martina G
Essentially, skimming is the most elementary form of reading. The purpose of skim reading is not to essentially understand all that is being read, but rather to familiarize you as quickly as possible, with the text being read. In this regard, skimming materials, by reading the index, subject headings and sub-headings, allows you to prepare yourself so that when the time comes, you can race ahead and speed read at pace – as you are already acquainted with the text. As a result, your general reading speed will be greatly improved.
Additionally, skimming allows your subliminal the possibility to absorb the major ideas of a text. These are later cemented by your speed reading of the contents. The mixture of these two ways allows you greater understanding of what you are reading.
Having ascertained that skimming will increase your reading speed. But at first you need to know how to skim read. At the same time as there are a lot of dissimilar techniques adopted to skim reading, the following are the fundamental elements:
* read the index of a text – note that it is fundamental that you do this so that you get the general ideal of what the text is about,
* read the introduction paragraph of the text,
* read each heading in the text,
* read each subheading in the text,
* read the first paragraph under each heading and subheading of the text,
* read the first and last line of the first and last paragraph of each page,
* read the first and last line of every independent paragraph;
* read the last paragraph of the text – again, this is extremely significant as it is usually in this section that you will find all of the major ideas of the text being summarized and concluded.
Furthermore, when skimming, try using your peripheral eye vision to recognize the major idea of the text, the most important dates in the text and any illustrations, diagrams or graphs.
When you are skimming, start at the beginning and read straight throughout to the end. Do not go back over what you have already read before you have completed the whole text as this will defeat the principle of your skim reading.
Keep in mind, skim reading is not intended to replace any reading of the material. Its purpose is to make known the text so that you can be completely prepared to review it again at a later time. You should not confine your reading to a mere skim read as you may find that you miss out on very important pieces of data in the event that you find yourself with insufficient time to both speed read and skim read a text. In addition you should take pleasure in your skim reading in the comfort of knowing as it will allow you to increase your on whole reading speed.
More like this:
TOEFL iBT - Reading for the main idea
Become an Effective TOEFL iBT Reader in Five Simple Steps
Overall Reading Strategies for TOEFL
TOEFL iBT in Depth: TOEFL iBT Reading
How To Score High In The TOEFL Reading
All Materials ...