Most Common Interjections for Standardized Exams Like Gre, Gmat,toefl
published by Amira Muhanny
Earlier I discussed prepositions and Idioms for standardized exams. In this article I will discuss a less important but unavoidable part of speech which you will see in abundance when you take your GRE / GMAT/ TOEFL. The sentence completion and reading comprehension questions which appear in the standardized exams require you to have a good knowledge of a variety of interjections. The problem here is that, you have a huge number of interjections in vogue but only a few will be tested. Lets see a few examples-
Ouch, that hurt!
Ouch, you stepped on my toe!
Oh no, I forgot that the exam was today.
Wow! That is a giant pumpkin!
Yippee! We won!
Whoa! Hold your horses!
Bravo, you did a great job!
Hey! Put that down!
I heard one guy say to another guy, "He has a new car, eh?"
I don't know about you but, good lord, I think taxes are too high!
For the first time when I was learning the concept of interjection usage, I could infer from my textbooks -
1. It's not wise to use interjections in professional, formal, academic texts.
2. Interjections are often used alone as a full sentence i.e. they stand by themselves, but they are a part of complex sentences used in routine conversations.
3. Interjections are words or phrases used to express sudden anger, joy or emotion of other kinds. They are used to exclaim or protest or command. They are used to react when events happen unexpectedly, painfully, surprisingly or in many other sudden ways.
4. It is not always correct to use an exclamatory sign for all interjections
5. If the emotion is powerful and solitary the interjection is mostly meaningful by itself and is to be followed with an exclamation mark.
*The most commonly used interjections in standardized exams are as follows -
long time no see
More like this:
How to Write a TOEFL Test
The Difference Between TOEFL and GRE
How to TOEFL iBT
What’s New about the TOEFL iBT?
TOEFL iBT Tips
How to Successfully Prepare for the Six Speaking Tasks on the TOEFL iBT?
Become an Effective TOEFL iBT Reader in Five Simple Steps
Number of Institutions Accepting the TOEFL Test Surpasses 7,300 Globally
How to achieve High score on English TOEIC, TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge Tests
All Materials ...